This Litmus Test is a pretty simple test on a Candidate’s qualification to my consideration.
This is my Litmus Test:
- You must not take Corporate PAC Money. This is the first thing I will check via OpenSecrets, and will lead to immediate disqualification.
- You must support a Green New Deal. I will not vote for someone who does not support a Green New Deal, period. We have 12 years to get off Fossil Fuels, or we reach the point of no return.
- You must support Net Neutrality. This is key to the protection of our Freedom of Speech, and of the Free Market. When the top Internet Service Providers hold a functional monopoly, allowing them to control what we’re allowed to see or send is a danger to Freedom of Speech and allowing them to control the market on the World Wide Web is a danger to the Free Market.
- You must support Medicare for All on the Democratic and Independent Side, and you must not support gutting Obamacare on the Republican Side. The Green and Libertarian parties are not filtered on this portion of the Litmus test.
- You must not have any score above C- from the National Rifle Association. The NRA is not a 2nd Amendment group, but rather a Gun Lobby group. The 2nd Amendment and certain forms of Gun Control are not mutually exclusive.
- You must not support a complete and total ban on guns, nor can you support the repeal of the 2nd Amendment. While I definitely wish to take action to lessen our gun problem, this is an extreme response and can only lead to the same exact situation as we saw with the Prohibition on Alcohol and that we’re seeing with the Prohibition on Drugs. Prohibition never works.
- You must not support any policy that violates the Constitution, period.